American Public University System Student Support Representative in Charles Town, West Virginia
Requisition Number 18-0088
Post Date 7/11/2018
Title Student Support Representative
Location Charles Town, WV
Please scroll all the way down and click "Apply On-Line" to apply for this posting.
Position Title: Student Support Representative
Reports To : Student Support Manager
Department: Student Support
Office Location : Charles Town, WV
FSLA Status : Non-Exempt
Synopsis of Role:
The Student Support Representative (SSR) is the “front line” resource of American Public University System (APUS) for assistance to students attending American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU). The position is expected to have a broad based knowledge of the University and its policies (including federal privacy laws for students), as well as degree programs, courses, financing methods, administrative procedures, and processes. The Representative must also be familiar with information related to federal educational funding options as well as United States military educational funding sources. The successful SSR will be able to provide one-stop resolution for students with tier one questions and refer students to appropriate departments for any needed in-depth assistance.
- Provides immediate, ongoing, and efficient information and problem resolution to students in a timely manner via telephone, e-mail, or electronic chat.
- Protects the privacy of student accounts through compliance with federal student privacy law (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)).
- Develops efficient conflict resolution strategies and communications.
- Demonstrates skill in using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and other software applications used in the Student Support Center.
- Resolves routine and escalated customer concerns in a professional and efficient manner.
- Maintains a productive working relationship with other APUS departments, such as Financial Aid, Fulfillment, Military Assistance, Student Services, Marketing, Admissions, etc.
- Meets or exceeds performance goals as determined by the AVP, Customer Service Operations and Student Communication.
- Keeps work area organized and in a professional appearance at all times.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule, which may vary and include evening and weekend hours.
- Assists other team members with special projects as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Shift hours will be Monday through Friday 12:30pm to 9:00pm or Saturday through Wednesday 10:00am to 6:30pm.
- Position will require training in Charles Town, WV for at least 90 days but may transition to a remote location depending upon the needs of the department and the proficiency of the employee.
- Requires high speed Internet connection, a dedicated work space within place of residence, and the capability to telecommute as directed by management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and work in a high energy team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work under time sensitive deadlines.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to work successfully with limited supervision.
- Ability to write well-organized, informative, and effective e-mails and other written communications.
- Ability to use active listening skills.
- Ability to set goals and prioritize work to maximize efficiency, meet deadlines, and use time wisely.
- Ability to be a team player by sharing information and offering assistance to colleagues.
- Ability to offer thoughtful contributions at meetings and the ability to respect others regardless of differences.
- Ability to handle escalated issues calmly and appropriately and to take initiative to resolve problems and offer solutions.
- Ability to demonstrate proficiency with software applications used in the department.
- Ability to build rapport with students and to provide timely, accurate information in a friendly, professional manner.
- Ability to research answers and to understand referral processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated understanding of FERPA guidelines and internal policies regarding student and employee privacy.
- Ability to understand and follow professional standards and APUS procedures.
- Ability to understand and effectively explain the University’s history, mission statement, goals, vision, organization structure, strategic goals, policies, accreditation, procedures and programs (including funding sources for students).
- Ability to compare and contrast the University with major competitors.
- Ability to extract and analyze information from reports.
- Some college prefeered or 5 or more years in a customer service environment, preferably in sales, customer service, or education.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of American Public University System to afford equal opportunity to all qualified persons. We treat all qualified individuals equally as to their recruitment, hiring, assignments, advancements, compensation, and all other terms and conditions of employment. American Public University System does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical, mental, or sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.