American Public University System Senior Software Engineer in Charles Town, West Virginia
Requisition Number 18-0036
Post Date 4/27/2018
Title Senior Software Engineer
Location Charles Town, WV
Please scroll all the way down and click "Apply On-Line" to apply for this posting.
- Reports To: Director, DevOps & Solutions Architect
- Department: Information Technology
- Location: Charles Town, WV
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Date Posted: April 27, 2018
- Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Senior Software Engineer is a .NET application developer that has hands-on experience working on the deployment, customizations, and integration. The incumbent is a part of the software engineering team at American Public University System (APUS). The successful candidate will have strong technical analysis and programming skills. The incumbent is required to understand the business and technical requirements, architecture, and design specifications and develop the associated application code.
- Designs and develops responsive mobile first classroom tools using .Net Framework, MVC, C#.Net, JQuery, Angular, Typescript, HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, Web APIs, JSON, SQL Server, Entity Framework, Team Foundation Server, Visual Studio.
- Designs and develops enhancements to Custom Cross-Enterprise ERP system and support integrated packaged and custom subsystem, adhering to formalized software Development Lifecycle in a complex technology environment requiring 24 x 7 reliability and availability.
- Gathers information about program intent, functions, features, data requirements, input requirements, output requirements, internal and external checks and controls, hardware and operating system environment, and interface with other APUS systems.
- Designs or writes program specifications.
- Converts designs and specifications into high quality, reliable and resilient computer code.
- Creates test transactions and run tests to find errors and confirm that the program meets specifications.
- Analyzes code to find causes of errors and revise programs.
- Demonstrates pre-production version of the program to users for feedback.
- Provides System Documentation and Unit Testing Results.
- Writes and maintains documentation of changes to computer code, programs, and specifications.
- Designs and codes layouts for onscreen user interfaces printed outputs, and interface with other systems.
- Reviews user and technical documentation written by others to confirm consistency with program operations.
- Provides technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with programs.
- Monitors and supports test, performance test, deployment, and production operations.
- Revises program for corrections, enhancements, or system environment changes and train end-users or technical support staff to use and support program.
- Mentors, collaborates and coordinates with programmers about program revisions, and modify and maintain software programs written by others.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Problem-solving and decision-making ability.
• Ability to work independently and as a team member.
• Ability to be flexible and work analytically in a problem-solving environment.
• Ability to work individually, as well as in small teams
• Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and time-management skills.
• Ability to acquire information and understand the business.
• Strong service and student orientation.
• Ability to adapt to change and innovation and think strategically.
• Ability to monitor and self-assess performance.
• Ability to plan and monitor results.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and rational decision making.
• Willingness and ability to learn new skills.
• Solid understanding of DevOps best practices, approaches and methodologies.
- Bachelor’s in computer science or a related field required. Master’s degree in computer science or a related field preferred.
- Three years or more years of experience as software engineer, software developer, systems engineer, programmer, or in a related position required.
- Experience with SCM tools (Team Foundation Server, Visual Studio Team Service, GitHub). Management tools (NAnt/MSBuild/Gradle/Gulp) and implemented continuous integration and delivery pipeline using Jenkins preferred.
- Experience working in an Agile environment with frequent deliverables preferred.
- Experience in test-driven development, unit testing, functional testing, system integration testing, regression testing, GUI testing, web service testing, and browser compatibility testing preferred.
- Knowledge of Java, Python, Perl preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of American Public University System to afford equal opportunity to all qualified persons. We treat all qualified individuals equally as to their recruitment, hiring, assignments, advancements, compensation, and all other terms and conditions of employment. American Public University System does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical, mental, or sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.