American Public University System Senior Business Analyst in Charles Town, West Virginia
Requisition Number 18-0072
Post Date 6/20/2018
Title Senior Business Analyst
Location Charles Town, WV
Please scroll all the way down and click "Apply On-Line" to apply for this posting.
- Reports To : Director, Business Analyst
- Department: Information Technology
- Office Location: Charles Town, WV
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Date Posted: June 20, 2018
- Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Senior IT Business Analyst is responsible for developing a strong relationship with internal business customers, working with business customers to understand and document current processes, and identifying areas where processes could be improved through changes to the process and/or enhancements to the system.
- Analyzes business practices throughout American Public University System (APUS) departments and utilizes this information to influence process improvements.
- Understands, analyzes, interprets, and documents process workflows.
- Analyzes information obtained from management to conceptualize and define operational problems.
- Designs new and improved processes utilizing knowledge or performance data, metrics, and process interdependencies.
- Analyzes business processes to define the functional and detailed requirements and works with the team to design specifications and approach.
- Studies and analyzes information about alternative courses of action to determine which plan will offer the best outcomes.
- Develops metrics to track business process improvements within both the information technology (IT) department and business organization.
- Oversees the transition to new processes and conducts continuous review and updates to ensure that changing business unit conditions are met.
- Leads discovery sessions, publishes meeting minutes, and ensures all action items are completed within the time frame set.
- Consults with business process owners to obtain additional information during system development in order to evaluate an alternative approach.
- Conducts system demonstrations and coordinates the creation of user guides.
- Prepares or works with the QA team to prepare quality assurance test plans and perform execution of test cases.
- Prepares User Acceptance Testing (UAT) documentation and leads the user acceptance testing effort with the responsible business process owner.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Work Environment:
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Proven leadership ability with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to set and manage priorities and projects with tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate ideas to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to self-motivate and direct.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to motivate others, and work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to write queries in SQL to perform data analysis and understand data models.
- Strong understanding of software development life cycle methodologies (SDLC).
- Understanding of relational database concepts.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field required; advance degree preferred.
- Minimum seven years’ experience working in information technology as a business analyst required.
- Exposure to information technology development methodologies such as waterfall, agile, or rational unified process (RUP) preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of American Public University System to afford equal opportunity to all qualified persons. We treat all qualified individuals equally as to their recruitment, hiring, assignments, advancements, compensation, and all other terms and conditions of employment. American Public University System does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical, mental, or sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.