American Public University System Senior Accountant in Charles Town, West Virginia
Requisition Number 18-0066
Post Date 7/3/2018
Title Senior Accountant
Location Charles Town, WV
Please scroll all the way down and click "Apply On-Line" to apply for this posting.
• Reports To:Assistant Controller, Financial Reporting
• Department: Finance - General
• Office Location: Charles Town, WV
• FLSA Status: Exempt
• Date Posted: May 24, 2018
• Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Senior Accountant provides support to the associate vice president, assistant controller – financial reporting and accounting team through completing a variety of accounting tasks including: general ledger accountability, financial reporting, financial analysis, financial modeling, various regulatory reports and other special projects as assigned.
• Assists with preparation of monthly financial statements, reports and records by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information.
• Supports month-end and year-end close processes.
• Analyzes financial information and summarizes results.
• Reviews bank statements and completes reconciliations.
• Researches and reconciles various accounts and discrepancies.
• Assists in preparation of the statement of cash flow and various financial files to support the 10-K and 10-Q processes.
• Completes various monthly and quarterly work-papers for various investments, related party transactions, and shared services allocations.
• Assists with the equity incentive plan administration and accounting.
• Prepares and assists with the board of director’s financial statement package.
• Assists the assistant controller and controller with preparation of accurate accounting policies, technical accounting memos, standard operating procedures, and Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) narratives.
• Interacts with American Public Education Inc. (APEI), American Public University System (APUS), and Hondros NES staff, and various teams, at all levels as required, to meet strategic objectives.
• Stays abreast of regulatory changes within finance and accounting.
• Works with internal and external auditors as needed.
• Completes special projects as assigned.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Ability to interact with staff in a positive and professional manner.
• Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Ability to meet communicated schedules and deadlines.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to creatively solve problems in a changing environment.
• Advanced skills with MS Office Suite.
• Ability to work as a team player with a positive attitude.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required, Master’s degree a plus.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Certification required.
• Minimum of four years accounting experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of American Public University System to afford equal opportunity to all qualified persons. We treat all qualified individuals equally as to their recruitment, hiring, assignments, advancements, compensation, and all other terms and conditions of employment. American Public University System does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical, mental, or sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.