American Public University System Security Specialist in Charles Town, West Virginia
Requisition Number 18-0069
Post Date 5/9/2018
Title Security Specialist
Location Charles Town, WV
Please scroll all the way down and click "Apply On-Line" to apply for this posting.
• Reports To: Security Manager
• Department: Facilities
• Office Location: Charles Town, WV
• FLSA Status: Non-exempt
• Date Posted: May 9, 2018
• Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Security Specialist maintains safe and secure environment for employees and visitors by monitoring security systems and patrolling American Public University System (APUS) property. Work hours: 12pm to 8:30pm, Monday thru Friday.
- Monitors premises by patrolling property and monitoring security system equipment.
- Monitors and maintains access control system to include printing security badges and granting accesses.
- Monitors and maintains CCTV system and provides footage and photos as needed.
- Monitors and maintains various security systems.
- Monitors weather and other emergency feeds and situations to notify employees through an emergency notification system as necessary.
- Monitors local police and EMS radio traffic.
- Ensures buildings are secure at the end of shift.
- Assists in parking provision.
- Completes reports by recording observations, information, occurrences, and surveillance activities.
- Researches and investigates incidents for prevention purposes.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing team- related tasks as needed.
- Safely operates company vehicle for security tasks.
- Answer phone calls, emails, and texts in a professional manner.
- Communicates with local law enforcement and emergency response personnel as needed.
- Inspects and reports security equipment maintenance needs on a regular basis.
- Works with APUS management to ensure safety and security of company assets.
- Directs APUS personnel in the event of an emergency situation.
- Adheres to APUS and security policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- This is a standard office environment setting (Charles Town, WV and Manassas, VA,).
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds or more.
•Understanding of risk management and liability prevention processes.
•Basic understanding of computer use to include Microsoft Office.
•Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- High School degree required. Associates degree preferred.
- One or more years of security or law enforcement experience required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of American Public University System to afford equal opportunity to all qualified persons. We treat all qualified individuals equally as to their recruitment, hiring, assignments, advancements, compensation, and all other terms and conditions of employment. American Public University System does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical, mental, or sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.