American Public University System Admissions Representative in Charles Town, West Virginia
Requisition Number 18-0003
Post Date 2/16/2018
Title Admissions Representative
Location Charles Town, WV
Please scroll all the way down and click "Apply On-Line" to apply for this posting.
Reports to: Admissions Manager
Office Location: Charles Town, WV
Date Posted: January 18, 2018
Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Admissions Representative is the “front line” resource of the University to provide assistance to new and prospective students interested in attending American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU). The incumbent has a broad knowledge of the University and its policies (including federal privacy laws for students), degree programs, courses and admissions requirements. The admissions representative is familiar with information related to federal educational funding options, as well as United States military educational funding sources. This role reviews documents for admission to an AMU or APU program. The incumbent refers students to appropriate departments for any needed, in-depth assistance. In addition, the admissions representative assists assigned prospects to the point of application, or assigned students from registration through their first session of classes with any issues that may arise. The admissions representative develops ongoing marketing and communication strategies and utilizes marketing materials/opportunities provided by American Public University System (APUS) to serve assigned prospects or applicants.
The admissions representative understands the best practices in the higher education industry, Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), and demonstrates an understanding of the needs of adult learners/non-traditional students. The incumbent refers students to appropriate internal and external departments for any need in-depth assistance; acts as liaison between students, faculty, and administrators; presents virtual open houses; represents the University at education fairs and other offsite events; and participates in University activities aimed at improving the climate for students. The admissions representative provides prospective and new students with the information necessary to make an informed decision about enrollment, reviews documents, and makes admissions decisions regarding student fulfillment of admissions requirements; the incumbent formulates a successful strategy regarding follow-up with prospective and new students and make independent decisions as to where, when, and if to follow-up with prospective and new students regarding the enrollment lifecycle. The admissions representative asks for decisions from students, decides which prospects and students need follow-up, and holds prospective and new students to deadlines.
Depending on the needs of the department, admissions representatives may be assigned to:
• Prospect Management
• Undergraduate Admissions
• Graduate Admissions
• Readmission and Retention
• Competency Based Education
This position has vacancies on the following shifts: Monday-Friday, 12:30pm-9:00pm, and Saturday-Wednesday, 9:30am-6:00pm.
**This position requires engagement in student recruitment, admissions and/or financial aid activities, and therefore, is ineligible to receive certain types of incentive compensation. **
• Provides immediate, ongoing, and efficient information to prospects and students in a timely manner, either via telephone, e-mail, or other electronic means.
• Protects the privacy of student accounts through compliance with federal student privacy law (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act).
• Evaluates the academic records of prospective and new students for admission to APUS programs.
• Develops efficient marketing strategies and communications.
• Demonstrates skill in using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and other software applications used in enrollment management.
• Resolves routine and escalated student concerns in a professional, efficient manner.
• Maintains a productive working relationship with other University departments, such as financial aid, fulfillment, veteran and GI Bill assistance, student services and marketing.
• Meets or exceeds performance goals and metrics as determined by department leadership.
• Keeps work area organized and professional at all times.
• Adheres to assigned work schedule and work as required to facilitate enrollment for prospective students, which may require evening or weekend hours.
• Formulates successful campaigns and follow-up strategies for student recruitment and enrollment.
• Makes educated admissions decisions regarding fulfillment of admission requirements and follow-up strategies.
• Effectively builds relationships with prospective and/or current students by representing the university through email, chat, phone, representative landing pages, live open houses, training videos, recruitment/welcome videos and/or social media.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Work schedule may include night and weekend hours for University events, to remain available for prospective students, and meet performance goals.
• May require telecommuting. High speed Internet and dedicated work space at home is required.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to learn quickly and work in a high energy team environment.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work under time sensitive deadlines.
• Strong problem solving and decision making skills.
• Ability to work successfully with limited supervision.
• Ability to give well-organized, informative and engaging presentations.
• Ability to set goals and priority work to maximize efficiency, to meet deadlines and to use time wisely.
• Ability to be a team player by sharing information and offering assistance to colleagues.
• Ability to offer thoughtful and respectful contributions at meetings.
• Ability to handle escalated issues with and on behalf of students calmly and appropriately and to take initiative to resolve problems and offer solutions.
• Ability to guide and hold prospective students to appropriate decisions/deadlines regarding enrollment.
• Ability to demonstrate proficiency with applications used in the admissions department.
• Ability to build rapport with prospects and students and to provide timely, accurate information.
• Ability to understand referral processes and procedures.
• Demonstrated understanding of FERPA guidelines and internal policies regarding student and employee privacy.
• Ability to understand and follow professional standards and University procedures.
• Ability to understand and effectively explain APUS history, mission statement, vision, policies, accreditation, procedures, and programs (including funding sources for students).
• Ability to compare and contrast APUS with major competitors.
• Understanding of higher education in the United States as enrollment procedures for the members of the United States Armed Forces.
• Demonstrated knowledge of APUS history, goals, mission, organization structure, and strategic objectives, including the ability to extract analysis information from reports.
•Associate's degree required; bachelor’s degree preferred or ten or more years of customer service experience.
• Experience with online and/or higher education preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of American Public University System to afford equal opportunity to all qualified persons. We treat all qualified individuals equally as to their recruitment, hiring, assignments, advancements, compensation, and all other terms and conditions of employment. American Public University System does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical, mental, or sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.