American Public University System SEC Reporting Manager in Charles Town, West Virginia
Requisition Number 17-0042
Post Date 4/6/2017
Title SEC Reporting Manager
Location Charles Town, WV
Please scroll all the way down and click "Apply On-Line" to apply for this posting.
• Reports To: Senior Vice President, Controller
• Department: Finance - General
• Office Location: Charles Town, WV
• FLSA Status: Exempt
• Date Posted: April 6, 2017
• Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) Reporting Manager manages the preparation of American Public Education Inc. (APEI) SEC filings, including: the 10-Qs and 10-K, and coordination with our legal team with respect to the Proxy Statement and miscellaneous filings.
• Prepares and coordinates reporting and analysis for quarterly and annual SEC filings, including Section 16 filings, 10-Q/K, and Proxy.
• Creates and maintains an SEC calendar to inform parties of necessary deadline adherence for the following processes: Board of Directors (BOD) package, 10-Q/K and press release.
• Researches the impact of accounting proposals and pronouncements on the company’s SEC disclosure, financial position and financial statements and coordinates with accounting team the preparation of technical memorandums that document issues in a clear, logical and comprehensive manner.
• Coordinates with the accounting team the financial statement preparation and necessary accounting disclosures in the footnotes and management’s discussion and analysis (MD&A).
• Collects, synthesizes, and processes edits received from management, auditors, and attorneys.
• Coordinates securities filings made pursuant to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and SEC regulations promulgated thereunder.
• Performs quality reviews on XBRL tagging.
• Completes SEC and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) disclosure checklists.
• Assists with the equity incentive plan and stock compensation recognition processes including documentation of processes, quarterly work papers, and compliance testing as required by Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) as needed.
• Assists with quarterly investment valuation review to include documentation of processes, quarterly work papers, and checklists and annual goodwill valuation as needed.
• Assists with financial analysis on various transactions, current and historical financial data, and other areas as needed.
• Assists with financial forecasts and various models as requested.
• Assists with other financial, compliance, and ad hoc reporting requests.
• Leads and completes special projects as assigned.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Occasional travel to subsidiary locations.
• Ability to work standard weekday business hours; position also requires the ability to work extended hours as needed to meet deadlines.
• Working knowledge of general ledger accounting using current accounting software products, Word and Excel.
• Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, internal and external customers, and management at all levels.
• Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
• Ability to work efficiently and accurately.
• Understanding of the confidentiality and ethical standards of a certified professional accountant (CPA).
• Ability to be conscientious about timeliness of assignments and quality of work product.
• Excellent GAAP and financial reporting technical skills.
• Exceptional work ethic.
• Ability to work independently, use initiative, and make substantive decisions quickly.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited university.
• Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification required.
• A minimum of eight years of experience working in an accounting and two plus years in corporate financial reporting.
• Strong understanding and experience in application of United States GAAP and SEC regulations.