American Public University System Network/Systems Administrator in Charles Town, West Virginia
Requisition Number 17-0148
Post Date 9/7/2017
Title Network/Systems Administrator
Location Charles Town, WV
Please scroll all the way down and click "Apply On-Line" to apply for this posting.
• Reports To: Manager, IT Operations
• Department: Information Technology
• Office Location: Charles Town, WV
• FLSA Status: Exempt
• Date Posted: September 7, 2017
• Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The network/systems administrator works in a team environment to install, maintain, and configure the American Public University System (APUS) network and Windows 200X-based servers and file storage servers. This role works with a quality service approach to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction, system integrity, performance and security within the work area. The incumbent works with other team members to maintain network and server infrastructure, including routers, switches, network appliances (load balancers, firewalls, etc.), Windows servers and security infrastructure.
• Provides support for production enterprise environments located in Charles Town, WV and co-location facilities, and provides support for our disaster recovery site and other branch offices.
• Provides support for additional environments (development, test, stage, prod copy, etc).
• Works with engineering team on assigned projects.
• Implements, manages and troubleshoots servers, including backup servers and their operating systems and software.
• Implements, manages and troubleshoots all network hardware and equipment including: routers, switches, and uninterruptible power supplies (UPSs).
• Administers and maintains end user accounts, permissions and access rights.
• Manages updates, patches, upgrades, and code deployments to ensure system availability.
• Monitors and measures performance and costs through regular reporting and summaries of the systems including availability, usage and capacity.
• Recommends, schedules, and performs network improvements, upgrades and repairs.
• Anticipates, mitigates, identifies, responds to and resolves problems affecting server performance, efficiency and availability.
• Implements new hardware and software projects and provides documentation and procedures based on functionality of the environment.
• Assists in developing enterprise network and server solutions per requirements including the creation of functional requirement documents, project plans and detailed implementation plans.
• Ensures 24x7x365 availability for identified internal mission critical network services.
• Develops and documents instructions and guidelines to perform the functions assigned.
• Performs backup, recovery, and archiving duties.
• Provides backup support to other network engineers, systems engineers, VOIP and PC Technicians.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office and data center environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Must be able to lift boxes up to 50 pounds.
• Must be flexible and agile enough to access tight spaces in IDF closets and around furniture.
• Requires less than 10% travel to data centers and branch offices at locations in the DC Metro area.
• Core coverage hours of support are Monday – Friday,11:00am – 8:00pm but will be part of the rotating 24x7x365 on call schedule with some weekend work.
- Ability to work independently or with other team members.
- Ability to mentor Tier 1 and Tier 2 techs on application issues.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Proven judgment and demonstrated understanding of operational priorities.
- Advanced troubleshooting skills.
- Experience providing user end training.
- Familiar with routers, switches, firewalls, and other network appliances.
- Methodical, organized and detail oriented.
- Must be a team player.
- Must be flexible enough to meet the demands of a fluid and changing environment.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills.
- Associates degree or higher in MIS, Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent experience required.
- Two to five years of experience in a Microsoft/Cisco environment including some exposure to virtualization technologies required.
- MSCE, A+, I-NET+, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE+I and completion of Hyland training track certifications preferred.
- Proven competency in COTS software, including Onbase, Great Plain, eGain, logging and Metastorm configuration and administration.
- Knowledge of SQL including administration and query writing.
- Strong knowledge of Active Directory.
- Strong knowledge of Terminal Server/Citrix environments.
- Familiarity with Dell hardware and EMC storage a plus.
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within network administration.
- Experience with configuration of application and systems for Onbase, Great Plains, Metastorm, eGain, logging and other COTS software.
- Experience with Microsoft Terminal Server 2003/2008.
- Experience with Windows 200X, Active Directory, Sharepoint, SCCM.
- Experience with one or more of the following: LAN/WAN/VPN and remote network technologies and protocols (such as, but not limited to, TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, 802.11 H.323, Ethernet and HTML).
- Installation, configuration, troubleshooting, backup, recovery, performance tuning, and security of MS Servers.