Financial Aid Customer Service Specialist
* Reports To: Manager, Financial Aid Services
* Department: Finance
* Office Location: Charles Town, WV
* FLSA Status:Non-Exempt
* Date Posted: October 17, 2013
* Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Financial Aid Customer Service Specialist is responsible for providing financial aid support to students attending American Public University System (APUS).
This position requires engagement in student recruitment, admissions and/or financial aid activities, and therefore, is ineligible to receive certain types of incentive compensation.
* Advises students on various forms of financial aid including federal financial aid (Title IV), veteran s benefits, alternative loans, scholarships, employer vouchers, military tuition assistance and other payment options.
* Reviews documents for federal financial aid, veteran s benefits and military tuition assistance and assists students with corrections and/or next steps.
* Assists students, education offices, and employers via telephone and e-mail regarding the financial aid application and award process, alternative loan options and military educational benefits to include tuition assistance and veteran's assistance.
* Monitors and assists students with Virtual Financial Aid Office (VFAO) progression.
* Performs research on approval status of all financial aid types.
* Assists Financial Aid Services Specialists with processing.
* Contacts students via phone or e-mail to provide updates or request information in relation to financial aid processing.
* Identifies and escalates reoccurring student issues to supervisor.
* Interacts with other departments to achieve daily goals.
* Works with student files and completes research, filing, pulling and refilling as necessary for the five functional units of the Finance Department.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
* Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
* Basic computer skills, experience with the Internet, and proficiency with Windows based applications required.
* Demonstrated positive work ethic and attitude.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Associate degree preferred.
* Minimum two years experience in financial aid, veteran's benefits, tuition assistance, customer service or call center environment required.
* Experience working in an office environment required.
Charles Town, West Virginia, United States